Elijah in Upper Egypt: The Apocalypse of Elijah and Early by David Frankfurter
By David Frankfurter
This important contribution to our wisdom of Egyptian Christianity within the overdue 3rd century comprises dialogue of —the Apocalypse of Elijah as non secular literature;—the Egyptian provenance of the document;—its social and old context;—a entire translation.“Frankfurter’s research of The Apocalypse of Elijah is an in depth and artistic piece of labor. His mastery of literary concept and the social-scientific strategy is clear all through, and the union of the 2 equipment during this paintings is impressive.” —James E. Goehring, Mary Washington College“This booklet is a awesome piece of labor. Frankfurter makes a powerful case for using local Egyptian prophetic traditions within the Apocalypse of Elijah.” —Birger A. Pearson, college of California, Santa Barbara>
Read Online or Download Elijah in Upper Egypt: The Apocalypse of Elijah and Early Egyptian Christianity (Studies in Antiquity & Christianity) PDF
Best church history books
A powerful piece of labor. Salzman has produced the main whole quantitative research of conversion of noblemen up to now. I rather loved her concluding bankruptcy on their effect on Christianity. She exhibits that fourth-century bishops followed the rhetoric of the Aristocracy and honor of their preaching and writing in a manner that appealed to aristocrats.
Die vorliegende Arbeit beschaftigt sich ausschlieBlich mit dem Anti christdrama; Weltgerichtsspiele und sonstige eschatologische Spiele, wie etwa das Zehnjungfrauenspie1, sind nicht beriicksichtigt. Die Griinde dafiir sind erstens praktisch: die Gesamtheit der eschatologischen Spiele hatte nur in einem erheblich groBeren Rahmen behandelt werden konnen.
First released in France, the place it was once offered the Prix Chateaubriand, this masterful new biography of Francis is now to be had in English
Christianity broadcasts Christ and the incarnate notice of God; the Bible is defined because the be aware of God in either Jewish and Christian culture. Are those usages in simple terms homonymous, or could the ancients have famous a extra intimate relation among the be aware incarnate and the notice proclaimed? This ebook investigates the idea that of trademarks in pagan, Jewish and Christian proposal, with the intention to elucidating the polyphonic features which the note got whilst utilized in theological discourse.
- Crisis Management in Late Antiquity (410–590 CE): A Survey of the Evidence from Episcopal Letters
- A matter of choice : how to make the right decision every time
- Negotiating Community and Difference in Medieval Europe: Gender, Power, Patronage and the Authority of Religion in Latin Christendom
- New Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 6: Fri-Hoh
- Wittgenstein and Theology (Philosophy & Theology)
- American Crucifixion: The Murder of Joseph Smith and the Fate of the Mormon Church
Extra info for Elijah in Upper Egypt: The Apocalypse of Elijah and Early Egyptian Christianity (Studies in Antiquity & Christianity)
Thus the f o l l o w i n g discussion of the date of the A p o c a l y p s e of Elijah w i l l focus o n the Coptic (once G r e e k ) t e x t at h a n d , r a t h e r t h a n a p u t a t i v e J e w i s h c o r e l y i n g w i t h i n t h i s text. E. 46 century T h i s w o u l d suggest t h a t the latest p e r i o d i n w h i c h the present Apocalypse of Elijah m i g h t h a v e been c o m p o s e d in Greek w o u l d be the last q u a r t e r o f t h e t h i r d c e n t u r y . 4 7 Terminus post quem W i n t e r m u t e has r i g h t l y n o t e d t h a t the earliest date the A p o c a l y p s e o f E l i j a h ( i n i t s p r e s e n t f o r m ) c o u l d h a v e b e e n c o m p o s e d is b o u n d b y t h e 44.
3. T h e a u t h o r h a s m a d e u s e o f a p r i o r l i t e r a r y t r a d i t i o n o r e v e n a c o m p l e t e apocalypse from an earlier time, w h i c h he brought up to date by m o d i f y i n g details o f t h e p r e d i c t e d f u t u r e to c o n f o r m m o r e a c c u r a t e l y to t h e a c t u a l c o u r s e o f h i s t o r y a s h e k n e w it. 3 5 Interpretations 2 and 3 represent those m a d e by previous scholars in search of historical and redactional specificity. By contrast, scholarly attention to native Egyptian literary tradition opened up the first alternative.
See P i e t e r s m a , 6, 88 ( f a c s i m i l e o f last p a g e ) . 62. See P a u l J. A c h t e m e i e r , "Ornne verbum sonat: T h e N e w T e s t a m e n t a n d t h e O r a l E n v i r o n m e n t o f W e s t e r n A n t i q u i t y , ׳JBL 109 ( 1 9 9 0 ) : 1 0 - 1 1 . 63. P i e t e r s m a , 2. See t h e l i n g u i s t i c a n a l y s i s o f t h i s p h e n o m e n o n b y N a t h a l i e B e a u x , * P o u r u n e p a l e o g r a p h i e d u p a p y r u s C h e s t e r B e a t t y 2018," Etudes coptes 3, C a h i e r s d e la b i b l i o t h e q u e c o p t e 4 ( L o u v a i n : Peeters, 1988), 4 6 - 4 7 .