By Mark Beck
A spouse to Plutarch bargains a huge survey of the well-known historian and biographer; a coherent, accomplished, and stylish presentation of Plutarch’s concept and influence
* Constitutes the 1st survey of its variety, a unified and obtainable advisor that gives a entire dialogue of all significant points of Plutarch’s oeuvre
* presents crucial historical past details on Plutarch’s global, together with his personal circle of influential associates (Greek and Roman), his travels, his political task, and his kin with Trajan and different emperors
* bargains contextualizing heritage, the literary and cultural information that make clear the various primary facets of Plutarch’s thought
* Surveys the ideologically an important reception of the Greek Classical interval in Plutarch’s writings
* Follows the currents of contemporary severe scholarship, discussing perennial pursuits, and delving into themes and works no longer previously given severe attention
From the again Cover
Representing an in depth unique survey of the traditional world’s preeminent biographer and historian through best students from worldwide, this better half supplies readers a transparent and concise evaluation of all significant subject matters of analysis and a unmarried accomplished synthesis of Plutarch’s mammoth and various oeuvre.
Editor Mark Beck first outlines the heritage of study on Plutarch and discusses modern methods to the examine of the writer. the 1st part offers wealthy old, political and cultural history information regarding existence within the Imperial interval, and the highbrow currents of the day, which contextualize Plutarch’s proposal. the most part specializes in his quite a few biographical tasks and different significant contributions, together with Moralia and his magnum opus the Parallel Lives. eventually, the ebook investigates Plutarch’s reception from antiquity to the trendy interval, together with his effect in France, and in England on Shakespeare.
A significant other to Plutarch bargains a wide survey of the well-known historian and biographer, for a coherent, complete, and chic presentation of Plutarch’s suggestion and influence.
About the Author
Mark Beck is affiliate Professor of Classics on the collage of South Carolina, the place he teaches classes on Greek and Roman authors and classical civilization classes. He has released various articles and chapters on Plutarch and is the writer of the impending publication, knowing Classics: Plutarch (2012).